Perfect weather nearly every day of the year makes Los Angeles a great city for people to ride their bicycles around all year long.
Unfortunately, the statistics say that Los Angeles is anything but a dream city for cyclists.
In fact, it might actually be the most dangerous and deadly city in the US for those that want to ride their bikes inside the city limits.
Bicyclists need to follow all the laws, but more importantly if you ride a bike around Los Angeles you need to be extra careful for the cars around you and the danger they pose.
If you have been injured while riding you bike we can HELP.
Keep reading to learn about your legal rights and what you need to know in case you are ever injured in bike accident.
Contact Law Offices of Daniel Kim in Los Angeles
Daniel Kim and his legal staff have years of experience helping bicycle riders get the legal help they need.
Our Los Angeles bike accident attorneys are here to help, call us for Free consultation.
There are time limits when it comes to filing a claim so don’t wait, call us today.
If you have been injured in a bike crash in Los Angeles then contact us today because:
- We know bicycle laws
- We care about our clients
- We have over 1000 reviews on Yelp, Google and Facebook
- We negotiate aggressively with the insurance companies
- We use top investigators to help your case and prove fault
- We help guide you with medical treatment and recovery
- We maximize the value of your case and get you max compensation
- If need be we will file suit and go to trial
How Much Compensation Will I Get For My Bike Accident?
Like all injury cases, the value of a bicycle accident insurance claim will vary from case to case because there are many factors that go into determining a settlement payout amount.
You can recover the value of your financial losses plus compensation for your pain and suffering.
Even when your medical diagnosis (and recovery) is uncertain, our Los Angeles lawyers can work with expert doctors to try and determine your future medical expenses and needs.
In the end, the amount you can claim for physical pain and emotional anguish depends on the severity of your injuries, like a personal injury calculator.
These factors can help determine the value of your case-
- Severity of your injuries
- The costs of medical treatment now and in future
- Did your injuries cause you to miss work and lost income
- Did injuries cause any long term or permanent impairments, disabilities
- The amount of physical and/or emotional suffering you experienced
Bike Accident Statistics in Los Angeles
In the past five years alone, more than 180 cyclists have been killed on Los Angeles roads by individuals driving cars and trucks.
Only three US states – yes, states not cities – have more cycling fatalities than Los Angeles County over that same stretch of time.
Even worse is that the infrastructure originally designed to support cyclists has fallen by the wayside.
The city continues to pump $ millions and millions of dollars into infrastructure.
Especially after Mayor Eric Garcetti made making the city streets safer for cyclists three short years ago by launching an ambitious $38 million program called Vision Zero.
This was meant to help eliminate ALL transportation related fatalities by the time 2025 rolled around.
Bicycle riders need to follow all the laws to help avoid accidents.
Dangerous Intersections in LA for Bike Accidents
There are hundreds of dangerous intersections in LA for bike riders, but some of the worst are:
- Alvarado Street at 7th Street
- Hollywood Blvd and Highland
- Western and Slauson Avenue
- Union Ave and 6th Street
- Spring Street and 5th Street
If you’re going to be cycling in Los Angeles you need to be wearing proper safety equipment (not just a proper fitting helmet and bright clothing).
Ideally lightweight cycling “body armor” helps protect you in the event of a collision, but you should also have important medical information on your person in the event of a collision.
This way emergency first responders have all the data they need to give you every shot at walking away from these kinds of accidents should they occur.
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident in Los Angeles, or know someone that has, it is imperative that you work with the best Los Angeles bike accident lawyer you can find.
The Law Offices of Daniel Kim are going to work tirelessly to see that justice is served.
And we will make sure that you are properly compensated for your pain and suffering from the bicycle crash.
Common Causes Of Bike Accidents In Los Angeles
Unfortunately, many times when a bicycle accident occurs it is the driver who is to blame.
Nowadays people driving on our roads are so distracted and in a hurry, that they don’t pay attention to other cars or bicycle riders who are sharing the road.
Of course there are times when the bicyclist themselves are at fault for an accident, but no matter who is at fault, anytime a car hits a bike rider is a bad situation.
Below is a list of common reasons for a bike accident in LA:
- Distracted drivers
- intoxicated drivers
- Drivers who don’t use their turn signals
- Drivers who violate bicyclists’ right of way
- Drivers who open their car door without looking
- Running a red light
- Unsafe passing of a bicyclist
- Drivers who don’t know the rules of the road
- Poorly marked or designed bike paths and bike lanes
- Defective bicycle parts
- Roadway defects like potholes, broken traffic signals or streetlights
- Aggressive bicyclists’ who ignore the rules of the road
How Bicycle Riders Can Be Safe and Avoid Accidents in LA
No matter how many precautions a bicyclist takes, they will always be at risk while sharing the roads with all the automobiles in Los Angeles.
But there are steps that bicycle riders in LA can take to avoid an accident and serious injuries.
Using front and rear lights on your bicycle – It is actually against the law to ride around without lights and reflectors on your bike, but more importantly it’s very unsafe. Ideally as a bicyclist you want to have a front white light and a red light on the rear. And both lights need to be in good working condition.
Wearing a helmet – just simply taking the time to put on a helmet can save your life or at least help avoid serious injuries. The leading cause of brain injuries is falling, which usually happens after a bike rider is hit by a car or truck. Concussions, contusions and open head wounds are common injuries when you don’t wear a helmet.
Keep a safe distance from motor vehicles – Of course it’s common sense for bicycle riders to keep a safe distance from cars sharing the road. Just being aware of the automobiles around you can help avoid an accident.
Be polite while riding a bike – This is just simple things like don’t run red lights, don’t run stop signs, and don’t cut off cars intentionally or ride aggressively.
Wear protective clothing if possible – It is also a good idea to wear gloves, any type of shoulder pads or protective back gear, and eye protection to make sure you have clear vision in any weather.
Pay attention to the road – this sounds easy enough, but many cyclists don’t pay attention to traffic, pedestrians and signals, etc. Listening to headphones can be very dangerous or talking on the phone while you are riding a bike in Los Angeles.
Ride in same direction as traffic – be sure to travel in the same direction as the cars as moving.
Equip your bike with mirrors – mirrors help a lot with making safe lane changes, just like you experience when driving your car.
Use hand signals – when you are making turns or changing direction you Always want to use hand signals, again just like you would when driving a car
Common Injuries From a Bicycle Accident
Of course getting hit by a car while riding a bike is always a bad situation. Bicyclists have almost no protection other than a helmet and gloves and shoes.
Below is a list of injuries that cyclists suffer most often after being hit by a car.
- Broken bones
- Brain injury
- Fractured clavicle
- Hand fracture
- Elbow fracture
- Head and neck injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint dislocation
- Dental and jaw, facial injuries
What To Do After a Bicycle Accident in Los Angeles
If you are involved in a bike accident you want to be careful about what steps to take immediately.
It doesn’t matter if the driver has insurance or not, you need to be prepared to handle the situation.
After an accident always get out of the roadways and away from traffic.
Our law offices will help you –
- open an investigation
- determine liability
- filing a claim
- calculate your damages
We deal with the insurance companies and we fight to get you max compensation.
This is a good list below of what you need to do –
- Call the police – this helps ensure there is a police report taken
- Talk to witnesses – get their contact info
- Exchange info with the driver that hit you – get their insurance, drivers license #, etc.
- Document the scene – take photos of injuries, his car, your bike, etc.
- Seek medical attention – goto the hospital that day if you’re injured
- Contact Daniel Kim Law Office – Call us that day for help
Recovering From a Bike Crash
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident then you are aware of the pain and suffering that comes along with it.
There is no way to speed through the recovery process, but you can make it a bit easier on yourself.
Try to follow these basic steps below to help your body and mind fully recover:
- Focus on sleep – get as much sleep as you can
- Eat well – giving your body nutrients is key
- Physical therapy – be sure to keep up with all recommended physical therapy
- Take care of yourself – massage, relax, no stress, movies, etc.
- Take care of skin and wounds – take all antibiotics and medicines you are given
- Build your strength – slowly do more exercise and increase your strength