In Southern California, motorists are used to sharing the road with semi trucks (also called tractor trailers or 18-wheelers). These large trucks are typically driven by professionals, and the companies who operate them are governed by strict safety regulations.
Unfortunately, even professionals can be negligent, and trucking companies sometimes ignore safety regulations regarding speed and inspections. Because of their enormous size and weight, when tractor-trailers are involved in accidents, the results are usually catastrophic.
Cars and motorcycles are no match for a reckless truck driver, and as a result, injuries in truck accidents can be extremely serious for the accident victims.
Truck accidents can involve many parties, including the trucking company, their insurance, and other affected drivers. This makes them especially confusing for accident victims who are just trying to heal and move on.
Request Your free consultationSchedule Free Consultation
What to Do After You’ve Been Injured in a Truck Accident
- Never admit fault
- Always get a police report
- Take down the contact information of any witnesses
After you get home, you’ll need to take some more steps to protect yourself in your case:
1. See the DoctorIf you’ve been involved in a collision with a semi truck, you may have suffered serious medical problems like spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and broken bones. Even if you don’t have obvious symptoms, you need to go to the hospital as soon as possible. Seeing the doctor will keep you alive and help strengthen your claim.
2. Document the DamageTake detailed notes about your experience, your injuries, and your medical expenses and care. Keep all the receipts and correspondence from your interactions with doctors, insurance companies, and others. Take many photographs of your injuries and the damage to your vehicle. This evidence will become crucial information for your truck injury attorney.
3. Stay QuietRepresentatives from the trucking company and adjusters from their insurance provider will probably contact you and ask for a statement. Get their name and phone number but do not speak about the accident or agree to sign any documents. These people are not your friend — they are searching for any way to reduce their own liability within the case.
4. CALL A TRUCK WRECK LAWYERIf you have been involved in an auto accident caused by the negligence of a truck driver, you may be eligible for compensation. At The Law Offices of Daniel Kim, we will provide you with a reliable and experienced semi truck accident attorney to defend you in your personal injury case.
- If you have been involved in an auto accident caused by the negligence of a truck driver, you may be eligible for compensation. At The Law Offices of Daniel Kim, we will provide you with a reliable and experienced semi truck accident attorney to defend you in your personal injury case.
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form to get in touch with us ASAP